Saturday, January 26, 2013

Week Three

From Eric's weekly email to the family. Eric told us last week that he has been assigned to the British Services zone. His mission president sent us a letter that said he would be serving in the US and Canada Services zone...




Why does everyone think I can't view mom's side of the family on family search?  I can see it just fine, I'm just having a really hard time finding proper sources on my own.  That's what I mean when I say familysearch doesn't seem to like mom's side of the family.  Sorry if I'm confusing everyone.

Yes British Services is going to be an all day zone which means that will now take over my evening zone.  I will have a different p day when I'm done with training but for now it's still going to be Saturday.  The training is really hard, and it's going to take me about 3 to 4 months to complete it all.

I had an interview with President Peterson this week and they told me that they put me in that zone because of the amount of praise I was getting from everyone in this mission.  He told me that it's one of the hardest zones we have over here, and they put me in it because they believe I'm smart enough to handle it.  That's also why there's only two other young elders in this zone.  And when I was getting interviewed he knew I was in British Services so that must have just been a typo in his letter or he just forgot or something.

For some reason my text is now italicized and I don't know how to get rid of it so just deal with it.

Never mind I fixed it.

Anyway, now that that has taken a good amount of time out of my e-mail time, I'm learning a lot of stuff in British Services.  They're just having me learn how to trace records, memorize old parishes and villages, how to find the right books with their horrifying modified dewey decimal system thing, reading maps, and all sorts of stuff.  I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing but so far they're training me on how to help patrons find whatever they need.  And again, there's a lot of stuff I need to learn.

I've already helped a couple of patrons because they know that if they come up to a young elder for help they'll probably get what they want.  I've been told to not just tell them I'm training and refer them to someone else but to actually see how far I can help them on my own.  They usually ask me for help for something like familysearch being stupid (it happens a lot with that site) and I spend a couple of minutes trying to figure it out.  Then fully trained missionaries notice our struggle and come over to help.  I then learn that the fully trained missionaries know about just as much as I do when it comes to this particular problem.  So apparently I'm already as smart as most of the missionaries in this zone.

I've already found all sorts of stuff.  For example, in the county of Yorkshire, in the parish of Melbecks, there's a tiny village called Barf End.  BWAHAHAHAH BARF END!  But wait it gets better.  It's named Barf End because it's near a hill named Barf Hill.  BWAHAHAHA BARF HILL!  So yeah you can probably tell I haven't had a lot to laugh about lately because I've been working so hard. Got to maps.familysearch.org to see where I found that though.

I have two reusable shopping bags that I bought at Harmon's because apparently they're only 50 cents.  If I knew those things were so cheap I would have invested in them a long time ago.  And yeah, go ahead and send me that nasal spray if you can find it.  And tell Grandma that I have pocket tissues because handkerchiefs are gross.  I also bought myself some Aquaphor and that stuff really is miracle cream.  I got a big tub of it so it should last me the rest of the mission and beyond.

Sorry I don't have any pictures or day by day reports but this was a really long and hard week and it's all kind of a blur.  The last exciting things to happen was a devotional on Wednesday by Elder Bradley D Foster of the Seventy.  He talked about the power and reality of prayer or something like that.  It was good but I hardly remember it. I got to shake his hand though.

Also I went to Music and the Spoken word Martin Luther King special last Sunday.  That opera singer lady was really loud.  I think she hurt my ears.  I also got to shake Loyd "narrator-spokey-word-guy" Newell that day too.

Love, Elder Larson



No comments:

Post a Comment